Husky Homestead Employment
We are now accepting resumes for our 2016 Summer Season!
We have ONE opening left! Come join our team!
Husky Homestead is located approximately eight miles south of the entrance to Alaska’s Denali National Park. It is located in the small year-round community known as McKinley Village. Each summer season we welcome thousands of guests from around the world to Husky Homestead – a Denali Destination where Dogs are King! That’s a bit of a play on words as Husky Homestead is the home base for four-time Iditarod Champion Jeff King! Jeff himself came to Alaska in the summer of 1975 for a summer job, and he’s been here ever since!
We offer three tours daily (sometimes four!), seven days a week for approximately 130 days from mid-May through mid/late-September. Husky Homestead is located 130 miles south of Fairbanks and 230 miles north of Anchorage. The Denali area is what most people would call “remote” – we head those 130 miles north to Fairbanks for nearly all of our errands: grocery shopping, doctor appointments, movie theaters, etc. It is not a quick trip to the store for us, and is typically a full day in town making sure you get as much done in one day as you can. We may not be close to the city, but Denali is definitely not short on fun! With the long days of summer we pack as much in as we can into our short season! As an employee of Husky Homestead, you may receive discounted or complimentary tours with many of the other Denali activities: atv adventures, rafting, flight seeing, fishing, park tours, mountain biking, etc. There are also other things to keep you busy: hiking, camping, berry picking, etc. If you enjoy being outdoors, we’ve got a lot of space for you to play!
While a vehicle is not necessary to live/work here , we do not provide personal transportation. We will assist you with transportation once you arrive in Alaska and are ready to head to Denali. Once you are here it would be up to you to plan for any trips out of the Denali area, and as to how you may get to and from those areas.
Husky Homestead has limited staff housing available. Our staff housing site is in the McKinley Village area. We have private single cabins, as well as several double occupancy cabins. All cabins have heat, electricity and wireless internet. Our cabins are in close proximity to our commons area that has two bathrooms and free laundry facilities. A shared kitchen offers a stove/oven, microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker and storage for food, along with two refrigerators and a chest freezer – there is no dishwasher. The commons area also has several couches, a TV with HDMI connection, and DVD player. Free wireless internet is available throughout the property. This commons area is a SHARED space and you are responsible for cleaning up after yourself in a timely fashion, as well as a list of weekly chores that will need to be completed on your own time.
Housing is $250/month and is auto-deducted from your paycheck. We do not provide meal plans for employees, but do our best to help arrange trips to Fairbanks for bulk grocery shopping. There are several restaurants in the area, and two small locally owned grocery stores (one is ~20 miles north of us in Healy) that can be a bit expensive but help get by between runs to Fairbanks.
What are we looking for in a Husky Homestead employee?
Outgoing – You will be around guests all day, every day.
Professional – A neat appearance and clean lifestyle.
Positive Attitude – Always polite and courteous with customers and staff members.
Team Player – Our small group of employees are more like a family. For 4 months, we work, eat, sleep, and play together in very close quarters. You must be able to get along with your co-workers. You will also be sharing a “common area”, so it is imperative that you clean up after yourself and assist with daily housekeeping chores.
Attendance – Our summer season is short and very busy. All employees must report to work on time, all the time. There will be days that you are asked to work more than your scheduled shift.
Honest and Trustworthy – Our staff is the face of Husky Homestead. We need employees that we can trust with our guests, our dogs, our vehicles and equipment, and what is essentially our livelihood.
Do you think you fit the bill? Would you like to be part of our awesome Husky Homestead team? Send us a resume with cover letter, along with three professional references and two personal to us at:
Husky Homestead – Summer Position
PO Box 48
Denali Park, AK 99755
via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently accepting resumes for:
Reservations Agent – Full Time
Job Description – Husky Homestead Reservations Agent
- Answer phones in a fast paced office environment with a multi-line phone. Respond to inquiries quickly and professionally.
- Monitor reservation email address for HH. Respond to e-mails in a timely manner.
- Take reservations via phone, e-mail and fax. Document reservations accurately.
- Communicate with drivers and other staff via hand held radio.
- Help with tours as needed, ie, run a cash register, make change and check out guests, provide excellent customer service to all guests (internal and external), and close out registers after tours.
- Receive inventory, tag inventory, and help keep retail stocked.
- Other duties as needed.
- Candidate must be proficient with Excel, MS Word, Outlook, and a 10-key/adding machine.
- Must have legible hand-writing.
- Must be able to multi-task and function in an office that has busy and slow times throughout the day.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs occasionally and be able to sit for a minimum of 8 hours/day.
- Candidate will be expected to work independently at times.
- Candidate should be a motivated self-starter.
- Wage: $12/hour plus $1/hour bonus at completion of signed contract.
- Housing is available at a cost of $250/month.
- If interested, fax, mail or email your resume cover letter, references (THREE Professional and TWO Personal) and contact information to:
PO Box 48
Denali Park, AK 99755
Job Description – Husky Homestead Driver/Guide
- Seasonal employment-this position is contracted from early May to mid/late September.
- Picking up and delivering tour guests in a 25 or 32 passenger bus. This position is highly interactive. Drivers will wear headsets in order to communicate with guests, as well as dispatch while inside their vehicles. Knowledge of Denali and the surrounding areas is helpful and preferred.
- Responsible for assisting with kennel chores, ie, care, cleaning, feeding, watering, and exercising 30-40 huskies of all ages.
- Help guide/manage tour groups of up to 100 people.
- Must be comfortable ringing guests up on a cash register. Will be expected to assist with gift shop sales as needed.
- Performs all pre and post trip inspections as required by DOT. Cleans, inspects, and locks down vehicle after each use.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must possess a valid Class C commercial driver’s license certification with Passenger Endorsement and a minimum of one year driving experience.
- Commercial driver training may be available for applicant with an Alaska drivers license – please inquire.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment and random drug/alcohol testing.
- Must have a current DOT physical with a safe driving record.
- Must be prepared to give accurate and helpful information to guests/employees about our product, our dogs and Denali Park.
- Preferred candidate will like dogs/mushing, be outgoing and able to talk to anyone, have excellent customer service skills, and be genuine. This position is crucial to providing our customers with a one of a kind experience.
- Able to sit/stand/walk for a minimum eight hour shift.
- Frequently lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Able to bend/kneel frequently throughout a shift.
- Comfortable and able to work, feed, handle huskies of all ages weighing up to 80 lbs.
- Work schedules can change frequently, and candidate must be comfortable working split shifts and work days that run anywhere from 4 to 12 hours.
- Hourly position: $15/hr, with $1/hr bonus upon contract completion.
- Employee housing is available for this position for $250/month.
- Employment as a driver/guide for Jeff King, Inc. is contingent upon approval by our insurance provider.
- Fax or e-mail your resume with cover letter, references (THREE Professional and TWO Personal) and contact information to:
PO Box 48
Denali Park, AK 99755